Frequently Asked Questions
- Q What Is A Challenge?
- A At MentorMatchMe a Challenge is usually a problem or issue that would require help over the longer term, rather than, for example, the type of issue or problem you would post on a forum. A mentoring relationship would generally last 9 - 12 months, or it can even last for years. View some examples of typical challenges.
- Q I Think I Need A Mentor, But I'm Not Sure. How Do I Decide?
- A If you have a challenge or dilemma you're facing and want to receive guidance from someone who's already been in a similar situation to you, then you're ready to be mentored.
- Q How Long Will It Take To Find Me A Mentor?
- A We will make every attempt to find you a selection of suitable mentors as quickly as possible, but depending on the complexity and level of specialisation you require it may take a little time, you can always amend your matching criteria once you have placed your challeng to open it up to more potential mentors. However, we have new mentors joining us on a daily basis so if you don't feel that the initial selection of mentors that apply to mentor you fully meet your requirements then you can keep your challenge posted for as long as you wish, until you feel you have found the right mentor for you.
- Q What Support And Guidance Can A Mentor Offer?
A Mentoring involves an experienced person supporting and developing you by sharing their experiences and the resulting lessons they've learnt.
A mentor listens, acts as a sounding-board, provides inspiration, draws on their own experience and helps avoid mistakes being made.
A mentor helps to develop ability and potential, enabling you to reach your true potential and overcome challenges.
However, ultimately you need to evaluate the guidance you're given, make the final decision whether or not to follow advice - and then to take action.
- Q Do Mentors Need Qualifications?
- A In order to register on the MentorMatchMe website mentors do not need to have any formal qualifications. Indeed, for many personal mentors formal qualifications may not even exist. However, if you are looking for a career or business mentor then it is advisable for you to specify in your challenge the type of qualifications that you require your potential mentors to hold in order to apply to mentor you. This may be an academic qualification, membership of an industry body or a formal coaching or mentoring qualification.
- Q Can I Have More Than 1 Mentor?
- A Yes, if you are facing more than one challenge and need different mentors for each challenge then you can post as many challenges as you wish within the categories that you are registered.
- Q What If I Am Given "Bad Advice"
A The role of a Mentor is to act as a sounding board, an inspiration and challenger, not specifically as a professional advisor. During the course of the relationship, Mentors may share information about experiences they've had and the resulting outcomes.
However, there is no guarantee that their outcome would necessarily be the same for you if you follow the same course of action. Therefore, when you're being mentored it's your responsibility to assess the information and guidance you're given, and to decide whether you think it's the right course of action in your circumstances.
- Q What Is The Maximum Number Of People You Can Mentor?
- A There's no restriction on the number of people you can mentor, provided you're able to find the necessary time to undertake the mentoring to the best of your ability.
- Q What Are The Benefits Of Becoming A Mentor?
- A If you do decide to become a mentor you will:
- Achieve personal fulfilment from investing in others
- Receive alerts about challenges that require your expertise.
- Raise your profile as a mentor and promote your mentoring expertise through our mentor focus, blog and regular newsletters.
- Get directly in touch with individuals who are genuinely in the market for your services.
- Feel "valued" as a role model
- Achieve great personal satisfaction and self-development
- Receive recommendations from your mentees for your mentoring services
- Build up some testimonials, case studies and referrals that you can them use within your business.
- Be challenged, inspired and enlightened
- Expand your network of contacts
- Improve your processes and performance
- Improve your leadership skills and enable you to learn from alternative approaches and different ways of thinking
- Benefit From A Two Way Learning Relationship
- Develop new coaching skills
- Enjoy a rewarding challenge